- Great Teachers
- Great Schools
- Great Results
The Boston Teacher Residency (BTR) recruits highly talented, diverse people who are committed to becoming urban teachers and provides them with a year of intense learning based in the classroom. Residents commit to teach in Boston for three years, and BTR supports its graduates over that period as they develop from novice to experienced teachers. BTR prepares teachers to meet the needs of Boston’s diverse learners, including English-language learners and students with special needs. In the classrooms of our graduates, we expect every student will make at least one year’s worth of growth, while developing the skills and dispositions to succeed in college, career, and life.
The BTR Recruiter is an integral part of the BTR Recruitment and Admissions team. The Recruiter will develop and implement a targeted plan aimed to attract and enroll outstanding candidates with demonstrated potential to become effective urban educators. BTR places a particular emphasis on recruiting teachers for high-needs areas (e.g., math and science) and teachers of color. The Recruiter is responsible for ensuring that high-stakes goals for prospects, applicants, finalists, and enrolled residents are met each admissions cycle, representing the organization publicly, and providing candidates with a high level of personalized follow-up, information, and resources in order for them to make informed decisions about pursuing BTR. The ideal candidate possesses outstanding customer service, relationship-building, and networking skills; an entrepreneurial spirit with a keen ability to identify and find creative solutions to problems/challenges; and stellar organizational, communications, and technical skills. This full-time, exempt position reports to the Director of Recruitment and Admissions.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS
The BTR Recruiter will be accountable for meeting aggressive goals each season, and reaching diversity and content-area targets through the following avenues:
- Outreach [20%] – plan, implement, and expand upon BTR’s current recruitment strategies/efforts within colleges and universities (including Historically Black Colleges and Universities), local community agencies and organizations, other non-profits, corporate/business partners, and other venues
- Relationship management [20%] – identify, establish, and strengthen partnerships with alumni, professors, community leaders, other organizations, and the larger education community to create referral networks and build pipelines of talented candidates
- Events [10%] – plan and run information sessions, meetings and networking events; attend career fairs and panels; run weekly evening information sessions at BPE offices; coordinate school visits and other meetings
- Targeted communications and follow-up [25%] – proactively initiate email and phone communications to high-needs prospects and applicants; provide professional, timely, and consistent email and phone follow up before and after events, and during prospective and applicant stages; create and send targeted emails through custom database; leverage social media (Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube) for outreach and marketing purposes
- Data, analysis, and evaluation [25%] – develop expertise on data-collection and evaluation tools and consistently use databases and other CRM tools to collect data, track progress toward goals, and inform efforts; provide weekly reports at team and supervisor meetings; track interactions and notes on prospects and applicants; create/maintain mailing lists and other distribution lists
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years work experience
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; strong presentation and public speaking skills; excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Commitment to providing outstanding customer service
- Experience working with a large and diverse constituency
- Ability to take initiative and work independently and proactively, as well as ability to work collaboratively, communicate/coordinate effectively, and thrive in a small team environment
- Demonstrated project management skills and the ability to manage multiple and competing priorities; very strong organizational, time management, and computer/technical skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in all interactions and to represent BTR publicly with professionalism, and to convey a sense of excitement and enthusiasm for the program and mission
- Goals/outcomes-oriented approach, proactive approach to meeting goals, sense of urgency, persistence in pursuing many and multiple avenues in order to deliver upon outcomes
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook); comfort and familiarity using databases and collecting, analyzing, and reporting on data; ability and desire to learn and use new technologies; strong learning stance to try new things; comfort/familiarity in using social media
- Experience teaching or working in a non-profit/education organization a plus; experience in urban education a plus
- Prior recruitment/admissions experience preferred
- Willingness and flexibility to travel, work occasional evenings/weekends/early mornings as necessary for recruitment and selection activities
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package, including group health, dental and life insurance, retirement plan, and vacation allowance.
- Step 1: Complete an Employment Application at the following link: http://goo.gl/3gtFV
- Step 2: Email your resume and a thoughtful, well-crafted cover letter (in Word or PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “BTR Recruiter” in the subject field.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.